9 Best Konjac Sponges of 2021 for Every Skin Type
PUBLISHED: 07/12/2019 | UPDATED: 1/16/2020
This article may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more details. To learn more about how we selected the products featured on this list, check out our product review & research standards.
Sometimes it seems like all the best beauty secrets come from our friends in the East; and we’re certainly not complaining! Korea has brought us some beauty staples like sheet masks, Chinese Jade rollers and Gua Sha tools are becoming ever popular. Now we have the exfoliating miracle that is the konjac sponge from Japan. You wouldn’t guess that this exfoliating tool has its humble origins as a bath-time sponge for babies, but konjac sponges are really the softest exfoliants around. For this reason they are also highly recommended for skin types that traditionally have a hard time with exfoliants (such as rosacea, eczema, and other sensitive skin conditions).
We’ll go over the basics of choosing, using, and caring for your konjac sponge. Plus, our konjac sponge reviews.
What Are Konjac Sponges? What Are Konjac Sponges Made Of?
Konjac sponges are made from the root fibers of the Konnyaku plant. The root of the plant is combined with water and some active ingredient (like clays, bamboo charcoal, and teas). Some brands offer pure konjac sponges made with just the root powder and nothing else. This mixture of konjac, water, and actives is poured into molds, freeze-dried, and packaged. When dry, konjac sponges are hard and brittle; however, simply add a little water and watch the sponge soften into a delicate sponge.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Konjac Sponge?
The main benefit of using a konjac sponge is definitely its exfoliating abilities. Frequent gentle exfoliation is the key to radiant, glowing, plump, youthful-looking skin. Why? Because exfoliation removes dead skin cells (stimulating cell turnover and revealing brighter skin underneath), stimulates circulation (adding a rosy glow to your complexion), unclogs pores, and clears away excess oil. In addition to exfoliation, there are other benefits to using a konjac sponge which include:
- Thoroughly Cleanses Skin & Unclogs Pores: The natural fibers of the konjac root help to unseat dirt, makeup, and excess oil that may be hiding away in your pores–leaving your skin totally clean and remarkably soft.
- Exfoliates Dead Skin: Whether you have dry skin, flaky patches, or just want to keep your skin looking plump, smooth, and radiant, a konjac sponge can help by removing dead skin cells. The removal of dead skin also supports cell turnover and the production of new cells.
- Smooths Skin & Complexion: With daily use, the gentle exfoliating powers of the konjac sponge can help to soften dark spots, remove flaky patches of skin, and unclog blackheads. This leaves nothing but smooth, glowing, evenly toned skin.
- Balances Skin pH: Konjac fibers have a neutral pH which can help to return your skin to a naturally alkaline state after cleansing.
- Rich in Vitamins & Minerals: The Konnyaku plant is rich in vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, and proteins that help to nourish your skin.
- Treats Sunburns: Because konjac sponges are so gentle, they can be used to remove flaking skin from sunburns without causing further damage to the burn.
Types of Konjac Sponges
Konjac sponges are often infused with some form of active botanicals or clays. These ingredients are added to address specific skin care concerns from oily skin, acne, sensitive skin, and anti-aging. The list below includes the most common infusions you’ll find in natural konjac sponges; however, it is not uncommon to also find aloe, turmeric, chamomile, and tourmaline-infused konjac sponges.
- Classic Pure Konjac Sponge: These sponges are made with just 100% konjac root fiber. Pure konjac sponges are white and naturally infused with vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, and E) and minerals (copper, zinc, iron, and magnesium). This kind of konjac sponge is a good choice for sensitive skin types who want a gentle daily exfoliation.
- Bamboo Charcoal Konjac Sponge: Bamboo charcoal is fantastic at detoxification and drawing out impurities from the depths of your pores. A great choice for those with oily or acne-prone skin. Just be careful when using a konjac sponge on active breakouts as you may pop the pustule.
- French Red Clay Konjac Sponge: Red clay has been shown to have purifying, plumping (collagen increase), and skin rejuvenating properties. It is ideal for balancing oily skin types and deep detoxification.
- French Green Clay Konjac Sponge: While French Green Clay offers powerful detoxification properties, it is particularly great for mature skin types because it also tightens and tones skin. The minerals within this clay give it a negative charge–allowing the clay to act as a magnet to dirt, oil, and other impurities.
- French Pink Clay Konjac Sponge: Pink clay is ideal for sensitive and dry skin types. It’s primary benefits are that it is rich in silica (improves skin elasticity), anti-inflammatory (reduces redness), and gently detoxifying (unclogs pores).
- Tea Infused Konjac Sponges: Naturally antioxidant-rich and plumping, green tea and other tea infused konjac sponges are best for those who want to protect their skin from free radicals and early aging.
How to Use and Care for Your Konjac Sponge
Adding a konjac sponge to your daily skin care routine is easy! Simply wet the sponge, add your cleanser (optional), and massage all around your face.
Tips on How to Use a Konjac Sponge:
- Massage in a Circular Motion: This circular motion boosts cell turnover by helping to facilitate lymphatic drainage and efficient mineral transport.
- Use Twice Daily: Konjac sponges are gentle enough to be used morning and night each day.
- Always Wet Your Sponge: Konjac sponges should never be used dried, the texture is way too rough and could damage your skin. On first use, it may take 10-15 minutes to soften your konjac sponge under running water. After that, your konjac sponge will typically soften within 1 minute.
- Clean After Each Use: To clean, simply give your konjac sponge a good rinse and gently squeeze to remove all excess liquid. Do not wring or twist out your sponge as this can damage your sponge. Hang to dry after each use.
- A Dry Konjac Sponge is a Happy Konjac Sponge: To prevent bacteria and mold growth, do not leave your konjac sponge in a damp area such as the shower or sink. Hang your sponge in a dry area.
- Konjac Sponges Last 3 Months: Konjac sponges last anywhere from 2-3 months typically before needing to be replaced. There are some sponges that last only 4-6 weeks, so check your konjac sponge packaging for more details. When your sponge is brittle and falling apart when wet, it’s time to replace your sponge.
Which Is The Best Konjac Sponge?
Before you run out and buy just any konjac sponge, it’s important to know that some konjac sponges are significantly better than others. A good konjac sponge is well-crafted and can last up to three months before needing to be replaced. A poorly made konjac sponge, on the other hand, can literally disintegrate in your hands after just a few uses. The difference is staggering!
A solid konjac sponge is made with just one or two ingredients: konjac powder and an optional clay. Unfortunately, thousands upon thousands of konjac sponges manufactured with unnecessary preservative agents, bactericides & fungicides, and artificial colorants that all do nothing to benefit your skin. The best konjac sponges are 100% natural, sustainable, biodegradable, and have no artificial dyes or ingredients. This can be challenging to find.
That’s why our team of beauty experts set out to find the highest quality konjac sponges available. We tested and researched nearly 50 different konjac sponges to bring you this list of what we considered to be the best of the best. These sponges are all-natural, durable, soft as can be, and effective at exfoliating the skin. We checked every ingredient to ensure quality and safety, researched the brands behind the product, and even considered customer reviews and third-party reviewers before we made our final decision.
1. One Love Organics Rose Clay Heart Konjac Sponge
Price : $10
A konjac sponge for those with sensitive skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema. Made with pure konjac plant fiber and kaolin pink clay, this sponge gently exfoliates away dirt and grime while also soothing inflamed skin. It's also great for those with blackheads and acne-prone skin as the pink clay provides some detoxification. Lasts approximately 3 months with daily use.
Shop One Love Organics Rose Clay Heart Konjac Sponge
2. WYLD Skin Care Charcoal Natural Konjac Sponge
Price : $15
Another great pure konjac fiber sponge infused with bamboo charcoal for detoxification. We love the little circular reservoir for your facial cleanser in the middle of the sponge and the shape is easy to hold and scrub all over. This sponge has a shorter lifespan than most (recommended to replace every 4-6 weeks), but our testers took care and properly used it for two months without issue.
Shop WYLD Skin Care Charcoal Natural Konjac Sponge
3. Boscia Complexion Clearing Green Clay Konjac Sponge
Price : $15
Pure konjac root fibers infused with green clay give this sponge it's oil clearing, acne fighting, and gentle exfoliating properties. The green clay does a fantastic job of soaking up excess oil without the need for harsh cleansers, astringent toners, or excessive exfoliation. With daily use, blemish prone skin types should notice a reduction in the frequency and severity of blackheads and breakouts. Should be replaced every 3 months for optimal effectiveness.
Shop Boscia Complexion Clearing Green Clay Konjac Sponge
4. WYLD Skin Care French Pink Clay Konjac Sponge
Price : $16.90
The French pink clay version of Wyld's konjac sponge. Like the bamboo charcoal version, it's a nice size and has a convenient little reservoir in the center to dispense your cleanser into. Simply moisten the sponge, dispense your cleanser into the center, and give it a few good squeezes to distribute the cleanser throughout the sponge. The sponge is super soft and does a great job at exfoliating sensitive skin.
Shop WYLD Skin Care French Pink Clay Konjac Sponge
5. Boscia Hydrating Red Clay Knojac Sponge
Price : $15
A beautiful natural konjac sponge made with just konjac root fibers and natural red clay. The red clay works to soak up oil, dirt, and debris from your pores while infusing the skin with natural minerals. Because of the sponge's hydrating properties, it is ideal for those with dry and mature skin types. Exfoliation and hydration are the keys to fighting fine lines and wrinkles, so this sponge is really a must-try for anti-aging. Lasts 3 months with proper use and care.
Shop Boscia Hydrating Red Clay Knojac Sponge
6. Boscia Pure Konjac Root Cleansing Sponge
Price : $15
A konjac sponge made with 100% pure konjac root and nothing else. Great for all skin types, but especially great for reactive skin types who prefer minimalist skin care options. Without any clays or additives, this pure konjac sponge leverages the natural exfoliating, stimulating, and detoxifying properties of konjac root. It's a nice sized round sponge that comes with string for drying/storage after use. Replace every 3 months with proper use.
Shop Boscia Pure Konjac Root Cleansing Sponge
7. Kohle Company All Natural Konjac Sponge Variety Set
Price : $20
Don't know which clay will work best for your skin? Then try this fun all natural konjac sponge set from Kohle Company. The set includes 5 konjac sponges each infused with a different powder: turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory), French Green Clay (acne-prone skin), bamboo charcoal (blackheads and oily skin), French Pink Clay (sensitive skin), and French Red Clay (dry and mature skin). It's a neat little way to use a different sponge depending on your skin care concerns of the day.
Shop Kohle Company All Natural Konjac Sponge Variety Set
8. One Love Organics Bamboo Charcoal Heart Konjac Sponge
Price : $10
This is the bamboo charcoal version of One Love's konjac sponges. It is crafted from just pure konjac plant fiber and bamboo charcoal. Bamboo charcoal is a master at detoxification. Thus, this cleansing sponge is ideal for those with oily, congested, and acne-prone skin types. Spend a little extra time to your nose, chin, cheeks, and other commonly congested zones when using this sponge as it will do wonders to clear your pores. Your face is left feeling so soft and smooth after each use.
Shop One Love Organics Bamboo Charcoal Heart Konjac Sponge
9. 100% Pure Bamboo Charcoal All Natural Konjac Sponge
Made in the USA from just konjac plant and bamboo charcoal, this simple detoxifying konjac sponge is all you need to deeply cleanse and gently exfoliate. This konjac sponge is suitable for all skin types--including sensitive skin. Like all well crafted konjac sponges, this sponge is super soft. So soft in fact that you'll be amazed at how effective it is at removing dead skin, unclogging pores, and smoothing out your complexion. It's even gentle enough to use around the eye area.
Shop 100% Pure Bamboo Charcoal All Natural Konjac Sponge
I would like to know which one you would recommend for some one with rosacea and mature skin I have a few wrinkles around mouth forehead between eyes and on my neck also what cleanser do you recommend
Gayle—try any “red clay” one! These are a little more moisturizing than the charcoal versions.